Thompson Funeral Home was established in 1948 by Vincent "Ted" Thompson. Its original location was on 7th street in downtown Sacramento. The current facility was built in the Oak Park section of Sacramento and opened its doors in 1957.
Born in Newark, New Jersey, Thompson relocated to Sacramento in 1940 and set out to use his science background to become a mortician. He completed mortuary college in San Francisco and took a job at a state printing firm while working part time with an established mortician and obtaining his license.
Vincent "Ted" Thompson became the first black mortician in Sacramento.
Mr. Thompson retired in 1987, selling the firm to Wilson Financial Group of Houston, Texas.
In January of 2008, the firm was sold to the managing funeral director LaDonna G. Olden. The name was changed to Thompson Rose Chapel.
Thompson Rose Chapel continues to serve the Sacramento community with the unsurpassed service began by Mr. Thompson in 1948.